Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where are the dreadlocks?


I've come to realize lately that the decisions I make now are like drops in a pond and they not only effect my little "ring" but go out and reach many generations far from the initial "drop". With this in mind my wife came to me several months ago and asked, "What do you think about homeschooling our boys?" Now, I don't know what came to your mind just now, but the first thing that I thought of was "Oh no! Our kids are going to be wearing homemade clothes and sporting the salad bowl haircuts!   I'm not one to shoot down anyone's ideas and especially Heather's. (I do knows which side my bread is buttered if you know what mean.) So I listened and watch for several months as she researches and studied, and all the while I'm watching to see how far this is going to go. Well...last weekend we spent 2 days at the National Home School Convention. (Obviously this has gone farther than I had suspected.) Anyway, while sitting in seminar after seminar with titles such as The Classical Education Style, Latin for Young Ones and The Dumbing Down of  America's Kids , I found myself amazed at how "normal" everyone was. In fact I was out and out disappointed of the lack of dread lock sporting, non deodorant wearing  hippies that I was counting on in case I wasn't on board with this idea. And where was young Jedediah and Luther Amish-stien that I could point out and say "There ya go honey, hitch up the wagon cause that's what we're going to be raising."What has replaced them are well behaved kids with genuinely concerned parents that have had enough of the failing education system. Now, let me make a disclaimer here. I'm by no means coming down on the teachers because, Lord knows they are doing their best with what they've got. When you have 30 kids in one room and more than likely a couple of those may have some type of learning/behavior disorder it REALLY makes it hard for that one teacher to properly educate the whole. Heck, just going to Walmart and ending up in line with some of these kids is enough for me to jack slap the parents! But that's for another post.
Annnnyway, like I was saying. The decisions you make as a parent affect not just your kids, but your whole generational blood line. So long story short (er). Heather and I are just trying to do our best so that our three minions wont spend the majority of their adulthood on the psychiatrist's couch. We want them to have not just an education but a love for learning and a passion for wisdom. And more than anything we want them to become the men that God has created them to be and fulfill the purpose He has put on their lives.  As for the home school decision, I'm still mulling it over but I have gone from skeptic, to non-bias objective, to informed. Now, if you see me out and Heather has the dreads flowing and the boys are sporting the salad bowl hair cut, just steer clear cause the deodorant may also be a little lacking.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I¨m glad you are raising your kids with this vision of helping them become the men that God has created them to be. Inspiring for many I´m sure!

    ReplyDelete